Tuesday, September 20, 2022

345. Easter 4 Hymn (Series A)

The texts for this Sunday in the LSB 3-year lectionary are Acts 2:43-47, 1 Peter 2:19-25 and John 10:1-10. It's "Good Shepherd Sunday," don'tcha know. The tune is DICH BITT ICH, TRAUTES JESULEIN, by Bartholomäus Helder (1635), which I know from only one instance in the old Evangelical Lutheran Hymn-Book.

"I AM the Door," said Christ the Lord,
"Whereby the shepherd leads My flock
Into the fold, and out to sward
Where safely they may feed and walk.

"He knows their names, and they his voice,
While from a stranger they will flee.
Those who go in through Me rejoice,
From thieves and robbers safe and free.

"Truly I say, who spurns the Door
Comes not to lead the sheep, but thieve.
I come that they might live still more
Who hear My voice, hear and believe."

Lord Jesus, faithful shepherds send
To lead and feed us with Your word,
And from false ministers defend
Your often straying, scattered herd.

Help us Your true voice recognize
And to your vouchsafed means to cleave,
Till vision dawns on weary eyes
Of that whereon we now believe.

No comments: