Saturday, January 14, 2023

482. Proper 10 (Series C)

The lessons for this Sunday (July 10-16) are Leviticus 19:9-18 (optional 18:1-5), Colossians 1:1-14 (the start of a four-week stretch in that Epistle) and Luke 10:25-37, the parable of the Good Samaritan, on which I previously wrote this hymn. The tune is JEG VIL MIG HERREN LOVE (a.k.a. COPENHAGEN, a.k.a. O LIVING BREAD) from Hartnack O.K. Zinck's Koralbog (1801), which various anglophone Lutheran hymnals have paired with the hymns "I pray Thee, dear Lord Jesus" (most frequently), as well as "If God Himself be for me," "Let me be Thine forever," "O living bread from heaven," "O Lord, how shall I meet Thee," "Rejoice, rejoice ye Christians," "Stand up!—stand up for Jesus," and "The day is fast declining." Despite all that, it really isn't utilized nearly as much as it deserves.

Christ, who would see me loving
My neighbor as myself,
Turn me to see You proving
Yourself my Life and Help.
When I was feeble, dying
In unbelief and sin,
Your priceless balm applying,
You stooped my soul to win.

Henceforth, Lord, keep me near You,
Cleansed daily by Your blood,
That I may love and fear You
And do my neighbor good.
Keep far from me talebearing,
Inequity and hate,
So that, Your image wearing,
I may on others wait.

No comments: