Sunday, February 18, 2007

Into His Father's Hands

From "Melody Moments"...

Hallgrim Petursson's series of beautiful Passion hymns, based on Jesus’ Seven Last Words on the cross, continues. Again, this hymn was translated from Icelandic by C. V. Pilcher. The tune is VATER UNSER (Lutheran Worship No. 430).

The Lord into His Father’s hands
With dying prayer His soul commends,
Before He then yields up the ghost,
He bows His head. Ye heav’nly host,
Shout praise! Such glory ne’er shall be,
As Jesus dying on the tree.

For everlasting death is slain—
O’ercome by Jesus’ dying pain.
My death is precious in His sight:
O grave, where is thy sting, thy might?
Dark death is now the path to life,
Long gain beyond a moment’s strife.

Lord, from Thy death I draw my life.
Gaze on Thy cross, with comfort rife;
O let Thy passion’s mighty pow’r
Work in my bosom from this hour,
And crucify me, Lord, that I
To Thee may live, to sin may die.

Thou, Lord, didst bow Thy sacred head
When Thy great task was finishèd:
Thus token clear Thou giv’st to me
Thy death to hold in memory:
Yea, when I die, saved by Thy grace,
I shall behold Thee face to face.

IMAGE: Detail of Crucifix by Michelangelo

No comments: