Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Come, Lord, Thyself

C. V. Pilcher (1879-1960) translated this hymn about death and dying from the Icelandic of Hallgrim Petursson. The tune is EVENTIDE (Lutheran Worship No. 490). IMAGE: One more favorite by Prokudin-Gorskii.

Come, Lord, Thyself with Thine abounding grace;
Mine utmost depth of need Thine eyes can trace:
Thou, Lord, through life’s long way my guard and guide,
Let not Thy pilgrim’s last tired footsteps slide.

Upon my sight dark dawns the rising day;
Faint fall the sounds of earth, and far away:
None, none can aid; by death’s lone narrow door,
I pass beyond man’s help forevermore.

None, none can aid but Thou, Almighty Lord;
I stay me on Thine everlasting word;
Let earth decay, heav’n’s far-flung glories pale,
Jehovah’s plighted word can never fail.

Within th’eternal arms I sink to rest;
Washed in the stream that flow’d from Jesus’ breast:
The life Thou gavest, Father, now defend;
Into Thy hands my spirit I commend.

Let the last psalm my dying voice can raise,
Extol Thy lovingkindness, hymn Thy praise:
Let the first notes my waking lips can frame
Amid th’eternal glory laud Thy name.

No comments: