Sunday, February 18, 2007

Today...in Paradise

From "Melody Moments"...

The Icelandic poet Hallgrim Petursson (1614-74) composed the following hymn on our Lord’s Passion as part of a series of hymns reflecting on His Seven Last Words from the cross. The English translation is by C. V. Pilcher. The tune is KOMM, GOTT SCHÖPFER (Lutheran Worship No. 157).

Upon the cross the robber prayed;
The Son of God swift answer made:
Yea, thou shalt rest, I truly say,
With Me in Paradise today.

Hear, in Thy love, my contrite cry:
That malefactor, Lord, am I;
If Thou should’st mark deeds done amiss,
My sin would prove as vile as his.

One truth alone can cheer my soul;
Thou, Lord, didst die to make me whole:
The sacred stream from Calv’ry’s hill
Can cleanse e’en this foul heart from ill.

Now, from the cross exalted high,
Thou reignest King above the sky:
The while I tread the path of woe,
Think on Thy servant here below.

When comes at length mine hour of death,
Thy voice shall soothe my latest breath,
As from the cross Thy mercy cries:
Today, with Me, in Paradise.

IMAGE: Fra Angelico & Workshop. The Crucifixion. 15th century.

No comments: