Tuesday, December 27, 2022

465. Passion Sunday (Series C)

The lessons for this Sunday are Deuteronomy 32:36-39, Philippians 2:5-11 (as in Years A and B), and either the whole St. Luke Passion (22:1-23:56) or just Luke 23 or (as in Years A and B) John 12:20-43. The tune is OVER KEDRON JESUS TRÆDER by Ludvig M. Lindeman (†1887), which both LHy and ELHy pair with Thomas Kingo's Passion hymn, "Over Kedron Jesus treadeth," and which I've been planning for a long time to use for exactly this hymn. It's about as Romantic as my taste runs, hymn-tune-wise. And ere anyone ask, the C in the bass line, bar 7 beat 1, is not a misprint. So there.

"Crucify Him, crucify Him!"
Cry the cruel multitude.
Lo, the hour of truth is nigh Him,
Jesus' heart to death subdued,
Every unjust word and blow
Borne on my behalf, I know:
From the Servant's part unshrinking,
Christ my cup of woe is drinking.

Oh, what darkness, signifying
All that on this moment turns:
God's Son hanging, hurting, dying,
So much for my life He yearns!
Me, a wretch, in error lost,
He redeems at such a cost!
Drawn aside from pleasures hollow,
In His cross's track I'd follow!

Oh, what stillness, as men bury
God Himself at close of day!
All complete, His mourners tarry
Little o'er the lifeless clay.
Yet, Lord, shed on me such peace;
From death's terror grant release,
Unto one and all revealing
In Your wounds a fount of healing.

No comments: