Thursday, February 14, 2013

Three Digits? Really??

The other day, I posted a review in which I claimed that I am following a hundred or more series. Let's see how accurate my estimate was! Here are the series of books that I am somewhere in the process of reading, anywhere from "The first book is on my shelf and only wants an opening in my reading schedule to fit in" to "I've caught up with the author so far and await further developments." Most of these series, however, are on the status "I'm two or more books behind" and holding, though in some cases I do have the next book or two on my shelf awaiting the opportune time. I had caught up with some of them to the extent of "waiting for the latest book to appear in paperback," but time gets away from me. And now, alphabetically by author's last name:
  • Douglas Adams
    • Well, all right, he's dead. But his "Hitchhiker's Guide" series lives on with the recent publication of And Another Thing by Eoin Colfer.
  • Richard Adams
    • I've been thinking of adding Tales from Watership Down to my repertoire.
  • Joan Aiken
    • I've had The Witch of Clatteringshaws and an omnibus volume of Is (a.k.a. Is Underground) and Cold Shoulder Road on my shelf for years.
    • I also have Arabel's Raven lying about somewhere.
    • According to this list, I've got quite a few conquests to go before I can claim total victory over the works of Joan Aiken.
  • Lloyd Alexander
    • Again, not so much a series as a long-term goal of working my way through his oeuvre.
    • Among these titles, I already own (but have not yet read) The Gawgon and the Boy and The Rope Trick.
  • John David Anderson
    • It isn't actually part of a series, but I would like to read Sidekicked.
  • M. T. Anderson
    • "The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation": I still haven't read Volume 2: The Kingdom of the Waves. Maybe I'll check out the audiobook, if the library has it.
    • I am currently three books behind in the "Norumbegan Quartet," which is to say, I've only read the first book. Next up is The Suburb Beyond the Stars. Maybe I'll look for it at Books of Wonder if and when I go to New York this fall.
    • I am also currently three books behind in the "Pals in Peril" series, though I think I might have Book 3: Jasper Dash and the Flame-Pits of Delaware.
  • Isaac Asimov
    • I could probably spend a lifetime reading the books this polymath produced. I would probably settle for Robots and Empire (Book 4 of the "R. Daneel Olivaw" series, which I only lately realized I had missed).
    • I might also try out his "Empire" trilogy, starting with Pebble in the Sky.
  • Steve Augarde
    • Fantastic Fiction informs me that I missed his latest book, The Boy Aviators.
  • Jane Austen
    • Emma and Persuasion are both burning a hole in my bookcase.
  • Avi
    • In the "Tales from Dimwood Forest" series, I already own Poppy's Return, and there's been another book since that one.
    • I learned just now that Crispin: The Cross of Lead has two sequels: At the Edge of the World and The End of Time.
    • This dude is scarily prolific!
  • P. D. Baccalario
    • Book 2 of "The Century Quartet" is Star of Stone, and there are already two more books after it.
  • E. D. Baker
    • I have only read the first 3 of the 7 "Tales of the Frog Princess." On deck: No Place for Magic.
  • Blue Balliett
    • Though not strictly part of a series, she has two new juvenile mysteries that promise to be interesting: The Danger Box and Hold Fast.
  • Jennifer Lynn Barnes
    • If my Y chromosome will allow it, I may take in Fate, the sequel to Tattoo.
    • Seriously, I've never seen a list of books by any author that more loudly screamed "Teen girls only!!!"
  • J. M. Barrie—which is to say, Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson
    • I haven't even begun to read their unauthorized sequels to Peter Pan. But I do have Peter and the Starcatchers in my personal library. I'd better make haste. There are already four more books after it.
  • T. A. Barron
    • I've missed the last 6 of his 11 "Merlin" novels, starting with The Dragon of Avalon, a.k.a. Merlin's Dragon.
    • It is also a strange fact that I read The Merlin Effect without realizing that it was the third book of a trilogy, beginning with Heartlight and The Ancient One.
  • Dale E. Basye
    • I have missed the latest 4 of (so far) 6 books in his "Heck" series, including Blimpo, Fibbel, Snivel, and Precocia.
  • K. P. Bath
    • In the "Lucy Wickwright, Maidservant and Spy" series, I have read only the first of three books. On deck (and I believe I have a copy somewhere): Escape from Castle Cant.
    • I just found out that this author is a dude. Life is full of surprises.
  • Joan Bauer
    • Turns out Rules of the Road has a sequel, titled Best Foot Forward.
    • This author's other titles also look kinda cute.
  • L. Frank Baum
    • I have several of his books on tap, including Sky Island, The Sea Fairies, and two or three installments in the Oz series that I collected during my last pilgrimage to Books of Wonder but never got around to reading. I guess I'd better get them in my head by Thanksgiving! Otherwise, how will I justify to myself another B.o.W. spending spree?
  • Peter S. Beagle
    • I have a few of his books on deck, including A Fine and Private Place and The Inkeeper's Song.
  • Frank Beddor
    • The latest book in his "Looking Glass Wars" series is titled Arch Enemy.
    • I'm not sure what to make of his "Hatter M" series, co-authored with Liz Cavalier.
  • Hilari Bell
    • I have only read one of her stand-alone books, but I am interested in trying out one of her series, such as "Goblin Wood" (beginning with The Goblin Wood) or "Farsala" (beginning with Flame, a.k.a. Fall of a Kingdom).
  • Ted Bell
    • Obviously, I have to read The Time Pirate, sequel to Nick of Time.
    • I could also get into his "Alexander Hawke" series, so far 8 books, starting with Hawke.
  • John Bellairs
    • I have read all of the Lewis Barnavelt mysteries, but I have yet to crack open the Anthony Monday series and the Johnny Dixon ditto.
    • I do have The Chessmen of Doom, but I am loath to read Book 8 of the Johnny Dixon series before I have read the previous books. Book 1 is The Curse of the Blue Figurine.
  • Jon Berkeley
    • I have yet to get hold of The Lightning Key, book 3 of the Miles Wednesday series.
  • Jim Bernheimer
    • In spite of my tepid review of the first book in his "Dead Eye" series, I'm seriously considering getting hold of Book 2: The Skinwalker Conspiracies.
  • Luc Besson
    • I have, somewhere on my shelf, Arthur and the Forbidden City—the sequel to Arthur and the Minimoys.
  • Jeanne Birdsall
    • The Penderwicks at Point Mouette would be Book 3 of the "Penderwicks" series.
  • Holly Black
    • I have already cracked Ironside, the third "Modern Tale of Faerie."
    • I'm also a couple books behind in the "Beyond the Spiderwick Chronicles" co-authored with Tony DiTerlizzi. Books 2 and 3 are A Giant Problem and The Wyrm King.
  • Pseudonymous Bosch
    • I have only read the first of (so far) 5 books in his "Secret" series. Already on my short-list of books to pull off the shelf is Book 2: If You're Reading This, It's Too Late.
  • Frank Cottrell Boyce
    • I'm not sure whether this guy's last two names are supposed to be hyphenated; I've seen it both ways. But I enjoyed his first two books for kids (Millions and Framed), and there are now at least 5 more. Next in line: Cosmic.
  • Libba Bray
    • The "Gemma Doyle" series is another example of a trilogy I started reading with Book 3. Now I have to go back to the beginning and read A Great and Terrible Beauty.
  • Herbie Brennan
    • I thought I had read the last of the "Faerie Wars" series, only now to discover that there is a fifth book to shop for: The Faeman Quest.
  • Carol Ryrie Brink
    • Who knew that Caddie Woodlawn had a sequel? It's only been out since 1939. I reckon I'll eventually pick up Caddie Woodlawn's Family, a.k.a. Magical Melons.
  • Charlotte Brontë
    • Shirley. After which I will consider my mission to explore the works of the Brontë sisters accomplished.
  • Terry Brooks
    • At some point I started reading The Black Unicorn, book 2 of the 6-book Landover series. I don't remember where I put it down. When I find it, I'll finish it and move on from there.
    • I really should try out his Shannara series, too. The first book is The Sword of Shannara.
  • Anne Patrice Brown
    • This self-published author sent me the second book of her "Dumari Chronicles" a few years ago. It really is naughty of me not to have read it yet. But seriously, after this, I am not accepting self-published freebies. Art is too long and life is too short!
  • Michael Buckley
    • I am up to Book 6 (Tales from the Hood) in his "Sisters Grimm" series, currently weighing in at 9 books.
  • Linda Buckley-Artcher
    • I plan to get to Book 3 (Time Quake) of her "Gideon" trilogy in the very near future.
  • Elizabeth C. Bunce
    • I have only read her stand-alone novel A Curse Dark As Gold, but I am interested in trying out her "StarCrossed" series, starting with the book of the same name.
  • Frances Hodgson Burnett
    • I have learned that there is seldom much reward in unearthing the lesser-known works of prolific authors who are now only known for a handful of books. Still, it is probably my solemn duty to endure Little Lord Fauntleroy and one or two other titles by the author of The Secret Garden and A Little Princess.
  • Jim Butcher
    • I just can't keep up with this guy! I am now reading Ghost Story, the 13th book in "The Dresden Files." Book 14, Cold Days, has not yet come out in paperback; plus there are a few companion books to this series to look into.
    • As for "Codex Alera," I've only read three of the six books. Next up: Captain's Fury.
  • Georgia Byng
    • Of the 6 books (so far) in her "Molly Moon" series, I have only read the first 2. I own books 3 and 4, however, and Molly Moon's Hypnotic Time Travel Adventure is high on my list of priorities.
I think the A's and B's alone go a good way toward demonstrating that I am, in fact, following a three-digit number of series. That's about 50 series right there. All right, the other letters of the alphabet don't all have an equal number of authors under them. But I will have to continue my rigorous proof another time.

No comments: