- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in saucepan.
- Sautee 3/4 chopped onion and 3 cloves minced garlic till soft.
- Stir in a 29-oz. can tomato puree, 1-2 tsp. chili powder, 1/2 tsp. Tabasco sauce, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. cumin.
- Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brown 2 lbs. crumbled ground beef; drain and add a 4 oz. can chopped green chilis.
- In a greased 9"x13" pan, spread 2/3 cup tomato mixture, then arrange 6 corn tortillas to line pan.
- Top with 1/2 of the beef mixture, then 3/4 cup sauce, then 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese.
- Repeat step 7 to form a second layer.
- Top with 6 more corn tortillas and remaining sauce.
- Bake at 350 F, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup shredded cheddar, then bake uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Let stand 15 minutes, then cut into squares and serve with side-dishes of chopped green onions, sliced black olives, salsa picante, and sour cream, for optional seasoning.
Thursday, May 3, 2007
Here's another recipe from my personal notebook. It was stuck in there by my stepmother (very few of my recipes weren't), and it is she who introduced me to the dish. During my teen years Enchilada Lasagna was one of my family's favorite treats.