Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Fun with Forces of Nature

Today I happened to be at home during the day, and during a nap scheduled from 1:30 to 2:30, I was awakened at exactly 2:00 by a phenomenon I have often witnessed with awe. Even with the blinds drawn and my eyes shut, I was able to observe the arrival of a strong cold front, complete with violent winds. Trees creaked; dry leaves scuttled along the ground; the windows shook in their frames; the air itself took on a tone color, the pitch rising and falling as the air velocity fluctuated. It was very impressive, and at this writing (5:30 St. Louis time) it is still blowing like that, on and off.

Predictably, the cold front brought more than just high winds. At lunchtime I walked across the street to a restaurant in balmy, spring-like weather, though the sky did threaten rain. By 3:30, when I walked into the clinic for a doctor's appointment (don't ask), the air was stinging my face with sleet. And moments ago, as I came away from the pharmacy where I picked up my meds, it was officially snowing and the temperature had crossed into "bitterly cold" territory, taking the wind chill factor into account.

All in all, it has been an interesting day to be sick at home. When weather occurrences like this happen while I'm at work, I sometimes don't notice - except to be startled by the change at the end of the day.

Seeing a front coming from a distance can be just as awesome as hearing it hit while huddled under the covers with two concerned cats. It can look like the sky has been divided in two along a straight edge, with daylight on one side and a stormy night on the other - like this picture.

No comments: