Saturday, January 21, 2023

496. Proper 26 (Series C)

The lessons for this Sunday (Oct. 30-Nov. 5) are Isaiah 1:10-18, 2 Thessalonians 1:1-5 skipping to 11-12 (optional 6-10) and Luke 19:1-10, the story of Zacchaeus, which I also covered in this children's hymn. The tune is WITTENBERG by L. Herman Ilse (1910), which ELHB paired with "I do not come because my soul." All right, it's not a great chorale, but it's better than most of the alternatives in the same meter – the one truly great tune of which, KOMMT HER ZU MIR, just seemed to heavy for the purpose.

Zacchaeus in the sycamore
Climbed up as Jesus passed before,
To see Him o'er the crowd.
When Christ looked up and bade him, "Come,
For I would sojourn in your home,"
The town complained aloud.

"He has become a sinner's Guest,"
The people cried, at which protest
Zacchaeus told the Lord:
"Half will I give unto the poor,
And if I've pilfered aught before,
I'll pay it back fourfold."

Then Christ, who came to seek and save
The lost, unto Zacchaeus gave
The hand of fellowship:
For in Him had salvation come,
Against whose peace the law is dumb,
Hell of its spoils is stripped.

When I am small, through my own fault,
Let not my enemy exult;
O Lord, my eyes lift up.
Let me Your smiling visage see;
In grace and mercy, summon me
With You, on You to sup.

Forgive my sins, and prove still more
Your love, that gladly I'd restore
Whate'er by graft I gain.
Call me at last to be Your guest
On high, where feasting of the best,
The least with You shall reign.

No comments: