Thursday, January 19, 2023

492. Proper 22 (Series C)

The lessons for this Sunday (Oct. 2-8) are Habakkuk 1:1-4 and 2:1-4, 2 Timothy 1:1-14 and Luke 17:1-10. I previously touched on part of the Gospel lesson in this hymn, and on verses 5ff here. The tune is a still-to-be-written original melody, possibly called HABAKKUK; I'll update you when it exists.

How long will I cry, "Violence!"
And You reply with silence?
Lord, why will You not save?
How long will I see trouble,
Strife and contention double,
And justice be depraved?
I'll stand my watch, expecting
The grace for which I grope.
Oh, come, my doubts correcting;
O Lord, fulfill my hope!

Lord, though Your hand may chasten,
Yet may the vision hasten
That You to me commend!
Your word has not kept quiet;
Nor would I dare deny it,
On which all things depend.
Come down, O Savior, humble
The pow'rs of sin and death,
That though the prideful stumble,
The just shall live by faith.

No comments: