Friday, April 18, 2008

Quake No. 2

Just now, at 10:15 a.m. by my clock, St. Louis experienced another earthquake. It hit while I was sitting at my computer desk, and it was about the same strength as what I felt earlier this morning. I felt and heard the building shaking around me, like the angles of floor to walls were shifting. Again, I heard rattling closet doors and vibrating clock chimes; the vertical blinds clattered; and the ductwork, if not other structural elements of the building itself, shook audibly.

I witnessed most of this from the heavily-built doorway between living room and hallway. One of my cats, meanwhile, hopped on the front windowsill and watched what was going on outside. With the blinds closed, I envied his view.

Power was not interrupted. Again, I am not aware of any local damage taking place. I'm starting to wonder, though, whether I shouldn't turn off the gas. I suppose I'll just keep an ear out for what the public is being advised to do, and leave the rest in God's hands. If these disturbances continue and, God forbid, intensify, any or all of my utilities could become a problem, and not just the gas. So for now, I'm going to enjoy the privilege of cooking with gas and the excitement of finding out what happens as it happens.

No comments: