Tuesday, February 27, 2024

505. To Have the Mind of Christ

I forget how long ago I started writing this hymn. A fragment of the first stanza has been sketched out on paper for months, at least, awaiting completion. I decided to complete it today, creating what is in effect another Fruit of the Spirit hymn. (Also see here.) Relevant Scripture references include Galatians 5:22 and Philippians 2:5-11. At this time, I have no particular tune in mind, but lots of options exist including several that I have written myself. So, no worries.

O holy Mind, that did not think
To seize Your crown by force, to shrink
From death by cross, all man to serve:
You suffered loss with awful nerve.
You scorned the shame; You shamed the scorn
Of them who crowned Your brow with thorn.
Your crimson badge now on me bind;
In me plant such a servant mind.

In me plant love, that from my breast
May flow what serves my neighbor best.
In me plant joy, that I may lift
A thankful song for every gift.
In me plant peace, and make an end
Of strifes that in my heart contend.
All these from Your own Spirit flow,
That I and all Your mind might know.

In me plant patience, bearing pain,
That I may count my losses gain.
In me plant kindness, showing grace
Like what on me beams from Your face.
In me plant goodness, pouring care
On all who my redemption share.
On all these graces let me draw;
Against such things there is no law.

In me plant faithfulness through all,
Come bitter wormwood, acrid gall.
In me plant meekness, bearing blows
With grace none but the Spirit knows.
In me, indeed, plant self-control,
Abhorring sin with all my soul
Till, falling down before Your throne,
Your name as Lord of all I own.

In these good gifts, good Lord, I find
The pattern of Christ Jesus' mind:
Who could have struck Your mockers dead,
But bore their load of sin instead.
Now, covered by Your paschal blood,
Let me imbibe that selfsame good
Which, binding Three in One above,
Now fills the world with saving love.

No comments: