Thursday, February 21, 2019

272. 'Set Apart' Hymn for Youth

I woke up early this morning and couldn't get back to sleep. So, as I often do when that happens, I flipped my laptop open and wrote a hymn, which I had been planning for some time. I selected Jesus' childhood, death and end-time return as the texts to apply to the issue that I remember as a bugbear for faithful youth. In case you think I've missed something important, I know that I could have selected 12 more examples - but another issue I wanted to respect is kids' attention span. I decided to err on the side of knowing my target audience, and so kept it down to three stanzas. You're welcome.

Tune: DU, O SCHÖNES WELTGEBÄUDE by Johann Crüger, 1598-1662.
Jesus, who from childhood carried
Our salvation on Your heart,
Help Your young disciples, harried
With temptation from the start.
See our lives, with pressures thronging!
See our hunger for belonging!
Help us know and feel it true,
Christ, that we belong to You.

Living set apart is lonely,
As You more than all must know!
At Your cross, John was Your only
Student, standing dumb below.
Give us strength; fill us with fitness
That, with John, we may bear witness
To the cup You drank alone,
For Your mockers to atone.

Living set apart is joyous;
Set that truth before our eyes.
Thus, when fickle friends annoy us,
Over wrath and hurt we’ll rise.
For You soon will come with glory
To review Your children’s story,
And will set apart on high
Those who loved Your drawing nigh.

No comments: