Thursday, July 1, 2010

Daley Avatars?

I was skimming the headlines today when I saw the words "Mayor Daley" in a story having to do with Chicago. I was stunned. As ignorant as I am of Chicago politics, it seemed like they've had a "Mayor Daley" for longer than a natural lifespan. I'm thinking, what is this guy, an immortal vampire? Maybe, like the title character in Weekend at Bernie's, he's been dead for years but they keep his corpse looking natural & have a lookalike read his lines from time to time. Or maybe he's like the Dalai Lama, who gets reincarnated every generation...? HOW MANY MAYOR DALEYS HAVE THERE BEEN?!!

Well, according to Wiki, the first Mayor Richard Daley served Chicago from 1955 to his death in 1976. Aha! I told you some kind of zombifying, resurrection-man thing was going on! Because today's Mayor Richard Daley has been in office since 1989. That means this guy, or his former incarnation, have been in charge of Chicago for 42 out of the last 55 years. It's crazy!

Why is it crazy? I'll tell you why it's crazy. Chicago is the city that foisted on us our Great Leader (pffff!) on the rationale that our nation needed CHANGE. Practice what you preach, Windy City!

No comments: