Wednesday, October 14, 2009

A Serious Trailer

The video below is a trailer for the new Coen brothers' movie A Serious Man. I think it's a brilliant trailer. It's almost musical, the way it layers successive samples of Larry having his face slammed into a wall, a car accident, a woman hawking and spitting, a rabbi saying "Meh," another man saying, "We're going to be fine," and of course the main character (Larry) repeatedly saying, "I need help." After building up to a contrapuntal climax, the fugue stops for the exquisite punchline in which the mannish secretary tells Larry that the rabbi is too busy (sitting there and thinking) to talk to him.I've come to like a lot of the Coen brothers' work, including some of their less successful films. I think, for example, that The Hudsucker Proxy and The Ladykillers are beautiful films. I have seen almost every movie they've made, and loved nearly all of them. But I wonder how this movie can possibly improve on its excellent trailer!

No comments: