Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Discomposed

I've been working on a set of variations on the hymn tune WUNDERBARER KOENIG, known to most of us as the tune to such hymns as "God Himself is present," etc. I'm very pleased with how they're going. Please assist me with your prayers that it may be finished soon and in God-pleasing quality.

I'm anxious about it because, after composing the first variation, I thought: "Wow, this really sounds nice!" Then I played it for someone and his remark was, "If I was the type of person who enjoyed lots of dissonance, I would probably like it." Ouch!!!

Now I'm wondering if there is something wrong with my ears, because I STILL think it sounds beautiful. Variation 2 is even more dissonant than the first, but also in my opinion more beautiful. Perhaps I'm just partial; or, maybe, I have some kind of wacko all-musical form of synesthesia that turns ordinary ugliness into a perception of beauty. I would like to hope that it's actually good music!

No comments: