Monday, October 24, 2022

401. Epiphany 8 (Series B)

The lessons for this service are Hosea 2:14-20, 2 Corinthians 2:12-3:6 and Mark 2:18-22 (optional 13-17). For the tune, I'm going against my general habit of choosing ones that are on the obscure side and plumping for STRAF MICHT NIGHT (a.k.a. CONFIRMATION, a.k.a. NASSAU, a.k.a. WÜRTTEMBERG), from a Dresden songbook of 1694, and sometimes attributed to Johann Rosenmüller (1655). Lots of hymnals pair it with "Rise, my soul, to watch and pray," but multiple books also associate it with "Father, Son and Holy Ghost (bless the young)" and "Not in anger, mighty God," which I take to be its original text. Then there are single-hymnal appearances with "Christ the Lord is risen again" and "Up, my soul, gird thee with power." So, yeah, it's probably overpowered for my little hymn-book, but I couldn't get it off my mind, so here it is.

Quickly, Bridegroom! Come with speed,
Lest we faint with fasting!
On Your word we long to feed,
Manna everlasting.
You still more
Have in store,
All our needs completing
Who Your flesh are eating.

Come indeed with ample wine,
Weary souls delighting!
With Your word let it combine,
Mouths and hearts inviting
That Your blood
For our good
We may drink with pleasure
And Your mercy treasure!

Come, Physician, with the cure
For our lost condition!
By Your sacrifice made pure,
We have full remission.
Freed from sins,
As new skins
Fill us with Your Spirit
Till life we inherit.

No comments: