Friday, October 21, 2022

395. Epiphany 2 (Series B)

The lessons for this service are 1 Samuel 3:1-10 (optional 11-20), 1 Corinthians 6:12-20 and John 1:43-51. The tune is the beautiful OM HIMMERIGES RIGE, a.k.a. MIN SJAEL OG AAND, a.k.a. THOMISSØN, a.k.a. ISLAND, a.k.a. HOW BLEST ARE THEY, from Hans Thomissøn's Danske Psalmebog (Copenhagen, 1569), which LHy, ALH, TCH, TLH, SBH, LBW, LW, CW and ELHy all set to "How blest are they who hear God's Word." Usually I don't go for a tune that is so widely associated with one hymn, but I noticed that neither LSB, ELW nor CWH has Johan Brun's valuable hymn, suggesting that our knowledge of it is passing away. If this hymn in a small way helps revive it, I'd be thrilled.

My Lord, who knows me from afar,
Let no falsehood in me debar
Me from Your gracious greeting!
From snobbish sentiments and snide
Turn me, O Son of God, aside,
Your humble spirit learning,
From my vainglory turning!

I recognize You, from Your word,
As Israel's Teacher, King and Lord,
One with the Heavenly Father.
The Good that came from Nazareth,
You bore my badness unto death.
May I Your wisdom freeing
Take in with all my being!

Soon let me see that wondrous Day
When up and down the angels play
On You from earth to heaven!
No other ladder links the two,
Dear Son of Man and God, but You:
Hence in Your mercy hold me;
To Paradise enfold me.

No comments: