Saturday, October 8, 2022

370. Proper 22 (Series A)

The lessons for this Sunday between Oct. 2 and 8 are Isaiah 5:1-7, Philippians 3:4b-14 (I think from "If anyone thinks...") and Matthew 21:33-46 (the parable of the wicked vinedressers). The tune is GLORIFICATION, attributed to Ivan Karlovich Czerlitzky (a.k.a. Johann Heinrich Tscherlitzky, †1865) and adapted from Gossner's Choralbuch (Leipzig, 1832). It was paired with the New Year's hymn "Father, let me dedicate" in the Ev. Lutheran Hymn-Book, The Lutheran Hymnal and Christian Worship: A Lutheran Hymnal.

All things that were gain to me
I now count as loss,
Though I was a Pharisee
Or by passions tossed:
That the knowledge of my Lord
I might only gain,
All else I'd see by the board,
All my idols slain.

Any righteousness that I
In men's eyes attain,
Now as wind-blown cinders fly,
Bringing only pain.
For in Christ my hope is hid;
In His cross I trust,
Whereon I will stake my bid
To be raised from dust.

Far from perfect, I press on,
By belief made bold,
Taking hold of what God's Son
For my sake took hold:
Casting former things behind,
Seeking those to come,
I press on in hope to find
Him who calls me home.

No comments: