Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Conversing with Cats

When you're a single adult living alone with pets - hey, it happens - you might find yourself conversing with your pets, for lack of anyone else to talk to. But these conversations can become pretty one-sided. Cats and dogs can be good listeners and can even show signs of sympathy, but in a healthy relationship the listening needs to go both ways. The trouble is, what do you say to "Meow"?

Well, here are some responses to "Meow" that I have found useful. Feel free to use them and/or adapt them as you see fit.

Q. Meow!
A. Oh, yeah? Who says so?

Q. Meow!
A. Really? Then what happened?

Q. Meow!
A. Gosh, you always know the right thing to say.

Q. Meow!
A. ...or words to that effect.

Q. Meow!
A. Don't take that tone of voice with me!

Q. Meow!
A. Well, now, I wouldn't take it that far.

Q. Meow!
A. Who asked you anyway?

Q. Meow!
A. Well, if you put it that way, all right.

Q. Meow!
A. I know. I'm working on it.

Q. Meow!
A. That's exactly what I always say.

Q. Meow!
A. That's the best idea I've heard all day!

Q. Meow!
A. Wait till my next payday, then we'll talk about it.

Q. Meow!
A. You shouldn't even think about that.

Q. Meow!
A. Of course you can't, silly. How would you reach the pedals?

Q. Meow!
A. Hey! Do I make personal remarks about you?

Q. Meow!
A. Sorry, kid. That's for Daddy's medicinal use only.

Q. Meow!
A. Watch your language!

Q. Meow!
A. You've really got to work on enhancing your word-power.

Q. Meow!
A. Good one! I'll have to remember that!

No comments: