Sunday, April 22, 2007

Upside-Down and Not a Pineapple in Sight

I just found my personal recipe collection (only a year and a quarter after moving), so here is one of my favorite things to bake. I've had this recipe since about 1998 and I don't remember where I found it. It's really fun to make, and yum, yum, yum! My favorite part is steps 7-8. It's so cool!

APPLE UPSIDE-DOWN GINGERBREAD CAKE
  1. Peel, slice, and core 2 large apples.
  2. Pour 1/4 cup melted butter or margarine into a 9-inch square baking pan.
  3. Arrange apple slices over the butter.
  4. Sprinkle apple slices with 1/3 cup (packed) brown sugar, and set aside.
  5. Combine 1/2 cup belted butter or margarine; 1 egg; 1/2 cup molasses; 1/2 cup sugar; and 1/3 cup packed brown sugar.
  6. In a separate bowl, combine 2 cups flour, 1 tsp. baking soda, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1 tsp. ginger, 1/2 tsp. clove, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg.
  7. Brew 3/4 cup hot tea.
  8. Slowly mix flour mixture into sugar mixture, alternately with tea.
  9. Pour flour-sugar-tea mixture over apples.
  10. Bake at 350 F for 45-50 minutes or until cake tests done.
  11. Cool 3-5 minutes, then loosen sides and invert cake onto a serving plate. Serve warm.

No comments: