Wednesday, November 16, 2022

440. Proper 25 (Series B)

The lessons for this service, a Sunday after Trinity during Oct. 23-29, are Jeremiah 31:7-9, Hebrews 7:23-28 and Mark 10:46-52. The tune is THANKSGIVING by Walter B. Gilbert (1865), not to be confused with the tune by the same name by John B. Dykes (which I used here), nor with my own tune by that name, which I wrote for this hymn. Gilbert's tune was used in the Ev. Luth. Hymn-Book for "Swell the anthem, raise the song." I actually transposed this tune down by a minor third, so I hope it doesn't end up sounding muddy.

Jesus, Master, hear my prayer!
Yea, have mercy, David's Son!
For You bid me cast all care
Onto You; and having gone
Through the heavens, over all,
You will surely hear my call.
Help, Lord! My petition bear
To our Father's holy throne!

At the gates of Jericho
Bartimaeus called your name.
You, though sure all needs to know,
Bade the beggar state his claim.
Since our pleas thus please You well,
I my needs will daily tell
You, from whom all graces flow,
Even on the blind and lame.

So the blind will see Your love
And the lame with joy will leap,
Singing praise to You above,
Shepherd of such scattered sheep.
Jesus, draw us from the brink;
Lead us by fresh streams to drink;
Plumb the way on which we rove
Till no more we sigh and weep.

No comments: