Sunday, November 13, 2022

434. Proper 19 (Series B)

The lessons for this service, a Sunday after Trinity during Sept. 11-17, are Isaiah 50:4-10, James 3:1-12 and Mark 9:14-29. The tune is DANK SEI GOTT IN DER HÖHE, which has the remarkable credit "Joh. Hermann Schein, 1627; Johann Crüger, 1640" in the SELK hymnal, where it is set to at least two hymns (roughly translated, "Thanks be to God on high" and "Lord Jesus, Light of the Gentiles").

Lord, bear with my weak praying;
Oh, help my unbelief!
While "If You can" I'm saying,
I know You bring relief.
You promise that, believing,
Great wonders I can do;
Forgive me, then, for leaving
The miracles to You.

You are not strange to weakness,
O Lord of Calvary.
You bore my shame with meekness,
Shrank not from agony,
Nor hid Your face from spitting,
The plucking of the beard,
To very death submitting
Mute as a Lamb when sheared.

Can You find me disgusting
Who bear your cross's mark?
Unclose my heart to trusting
Your will, though it be dark;
Unclose my eyes to find You
At work in word and sign,
And set my feet behind You
To trace Your way divine.

No comments: