Monday, February 1, 2021
A Little Concordance to Psalm 119
Big-time theologians these days scoff at biblical word studies, but this is a different kind of word study. I've gone through Psalm 119 and sorted out the different synonyms for the Word of God which that super-long acrostic poem uses in almost every verse, and then under each term I listed the verses (or half-verse, in some cases) it occurs in and the statement or request the psalmist makes regarding that word.
Before we get started, let's say the letter L stands for "the LORD" (sometimes added for context, usually actually named in the verse), and the long dash, —, is a convenient place-holder for His (or, often, "Your," addressing the LORD) whatever—see the subhead immediately prior. The translation of the verses is based on the New King James Version, but I took some liberties and, hand to heaven, I was also looking at the Hebrew text to make sure I got it straight. The words in parentheses in each subhead are my notion of how to transliterate the Hebrew root word relevant to each long entry; there's no need to pick on me for how I chose to do this. The numbers represent verses in the Psalm, and if they have an "a" or "b" after them, those designate half-verses. The cast is listed in order of appearance. So, here goes:
1. The blessed walk undefiled in —.
18. Open my eyes to see wondrous things from —.
29. Remove me from the way of lying; graciously grant me —.
34. Give me understanding and I shall keep — / observe it with my whole heart.
44. I shall keep — continually, forever and ever.
51. The proud deride me, but I do not swerve from —.
55b. I keep —.
61. The cords of the wicked bound me, but I did not forget —.
70. The heart (of the proud) is as fat as grease, but I will delight in —.
72. L, — of Your mouth is better to me than thousands of gold and silver.
77. L, let Your tender mercies come to me, and I will live; for — is my delight.
85. The proud have dug pits for me, which is not according to —.
92. Unless — had been my delight, I would have perished in my affliction.
97. I love —; it is my meditation all the day.
109. My life is continually in my hand, but I do not forget —.
113. I hate the double-minded, but I love —.
126. Time to act, L, for they have regarded — as void.
136. Rivers of water run from my eyes because they do not keep —.
142. Your righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, and — is truth.
150. They draw near who follow wickedness; they are far from —.
153. Consider my affliction and deliver me, for I do not forget —.
163. I hate and abhor lying; I love —.
165. Those who love — have great peace, and nothing causes them to stumble.
174. I long for Your salvation, L, and — is my delight.
2. The blessed keep — / wholeheartedly seek L.
14. I rejoice in the way of — as in all riches.
22. Remove my reproach, contempt, for I have kept —.
24. — are my delight and my counselors.
31. I cling to —; L, do not put me to shame!
36. Incline my heart to —, and not to covetousness.
46. I will speak of — before kings and will not be ashamed.
53. Indignation seized me because the wicked forsake —.
59. I thought about my ways, and turned my feet to —.
79. Let those who fear L turn to me, those who know —.
88. Revive me according to Your lovingkindness, and I will keep the — of Your mouth.
95. The wicked wait for me to destroy me; I will consider —.
99. I have more understanding than all my teachers, for — are my meditation.
111. I have taken — as a heritage forever, for they are the rejoicing of my heart.
119. L, You put away all the wicked of the earth like dross; therefore I love —.
125. I am Your servant; give me understanding that I may know —.
129. — are wonderful; therefore my soul keeps them.
138. —, which You commanded, are righteous and very faithful.
144. The righteousness of — is everlasting; give me understanding, and I shall live.
146. I cry out to You; save me, and I will keep —.
152. Concerning —, I have known of old that You founded them forever.
157. Many are my persecutors and enemies; I do not turn from —.
167. My soul keeps —, and I love them exceedingly.
168. I keep Your precepts (PIQUD) and —, for all my ways are before You.
3. The blessed do no iniquity / walk in —.
37. Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things; revive me in —.
4. L commands us to keep — diligently.
15a. I meditate on —.
27a. Make me understand the way of —.
40. I long for —; L, revive me in Your righteousness.
45. I will walk at liberty, for I seek —.
56. This has become mine: that I kept —.
63. I am a companion of all who fear L and keep —.
69. The proud forged a lie against me, but I will keep — with my whole heart.
78. Let the proud be ashamed, for they wronged me with falsehood; I will meditate on —.
87. They almost made an end of me on earth, but I did not forsake —.
93. I will never forget —, L, for by them You have given me life.
94. I am Yours, save me; for I have sought —.
100. I understand more than the ancients, because I keep —.
104. Through — I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way.
110. The wicked laid a snare for me, but I did not stray from —.
128. I regard all — concerning all things as right; I hate every false way (ORACH).
134. Redeem me from the oppression of man, that I may keep —.
141. I am small and despised; I do not forget —.
159. Consider how I love —; revive me, L, according to Your lovingkindness.
168. I keep — and Your testimonies (EDUTH), for all my ways are before You.
173. Let Your hand become my help, for I have chosen —.
5. Oh, that my ways were directed to keep —!
8. I will keep —; L, do not forsake me utterly!
12. Blessed L., teach me —.
16a. I will delight in —.
23. Princes sit and speak against me, but L's servant meditates on —.
26. I have declared my ways and L answered me; teach me —.
33. Teach me the way of —, and I shall keep it to the end.
48b. I will meditate on —.
54. — have been my songs in the house of my pilgrimage.
64. L, earth is full of Your mercy; teach me —.
68. You are good and do good; teach me —.
71. It was good for me to be afflicted, that I may learn —.
80. Let my heart be blameless regarding —, that I may not be ashamed.
83. I have become like a wineskin in smoke; I do not forget —.
112. I have inclined my heart to perform — forever, to the very end.
117. Uphold me and I will be safe; I will observe Your — continually.
118. You reject all who stray from —, for their deceit is falsehood.
124. Deal with Your servant according to Your lovingkindness, and teach me —.
135. Make Your face shine on Your servant, and teach me —.
145. I cry out with my whole heart; hear me, L! I will keep —.
155. Salvation is far from the wicked, for they do not seek —.
171. My lips shall utter praise, for You teach me —.
6. Then (cf. 5) I will not be ashamed to look into all —.
10. I sought L; let me not wander from —.
19. Do not hide — from me, a stranger in the earth.
21. L rebukes the proud, cursed who stray from —.
32. I will run the course of —; for L shall enlarge my heart.
35. Make me walk in the path of —, for I delight in it.
47. I will delight myself in —, which I love.
48a. I will lift up my hands to —.
60. I hastened, and did not delay, to keep —.
66. Teach me good judgment, for I believe —.
73. Your hands made and formed me; give me understanding that I may learn —.
86. All — are faithful. (The proud) persecute me wrongly; help me!
96. I have seen the consummation of all perfection; — is very broad.
98. Lord, through —, You make me wiser than my enemies; for they are ever with me.
115. Depart from me, evildoers, for I will keep — of my God!
127. I love — more than gold, even than fine gold.
131. I open-mouth panted; I longed for —.
143. Trouble and anguish have overtaken me, but — are my delights.
151. You are near, L, and all — are truth.
166. L, I hope for Your salvation and I do —.
172b. All — are righteousness.
176. I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek Your servant, for I do not forget —.
7. I will praise L. with upright heart when I learn —.
13. My lips have declared all — of L's mouth.
20. My soul breaks with longing for — at all times.
30. I have chosen the way of truth; I have laid — before me.
39. Turn away my dreaded reproach, for — are good.
43b. I have hoped in —.
52. I remembered — of old, L, and comforted myself.
62. At midnight I will rise to thank You because of Your righteous —.
75. I know, L, that — are right, and in that faithfulness You afflicted me.
84. How many are Your servant's days? When will you do — on those who persecute me?
91. They continue this day according to —, for all are Your servants.
102. I have not departed from —, for You Yourself have taught me.
106. I have sworn and confirmed that I will keep Your righteous —.
108. Do accept the freewill offerings of my mouth, L, and teach me —.
120. My flesh trembles for fear of You, and I am afraid of —.
121. I have done —* and righteousness; do not leave me to my oppressors.
137. Righteous are You, L, and upright are —.
149. Hear my voice according to Your lovingkindness; revive me according to —.
156. Great are Your mercies, L; revive me according to —.
160b. Every one of Your righteous — is forever.
164. Seven times a day I praise you because of Your righteous —.
175. Let my soul live and it shall praise You; and let — help me.
9. A young man can cleanse his way by heeding —.
16b. I will not forget —.
17. Deal bountifully with me that I may live and keep —.
25. My soul clings to the dust; revive me according to —.
28. My soul melts from heaviness; strengthen me according to —.
42. I shall have an answer for him who reproaches me, for I trust in —.
43a. Take not — of truth utterly from my mouth.
49. L, remember — to Your servant, on which You have made me hope.
57. L is my portion; I said I would keep —.
65. L, You have dealt well with Your servant, according to —.
74. Those who fear you, L, will be glad when they see me, because I hoped in —.
81. L, my soul faints for Your salvation, but I hope in —.
89. Forever, L, — is settled in heaven.
101. I have restrained my feet from every evil way, that I may keep —.
105. — is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.
107. I am very afflicted; revive me, L, according to —.
114. L, You are my hiding place and my shield; I hope in —.
130. The entrance of — gives light; it gives understanding to the simple.
139. My zeal has consumed me, because my enemies have forgotten —.
148. I rise before the morning dawn and cry for help; I hope in —.
160a. The entirety of — is truth.
161. Princes persecute me without cause, but my heart stands in awe of —.
169. Let my cry come before You, L; give me understanding according to —.
11. I have hidden — in my heart, that I might not sin against L.
38. Establish — to L's servant, who fears L.
41. Let Your mercies come to me, L; your salvation according to —.
50. My comfort in affliction: — has given me life.
58. I begged L's favor with my whole heart; be merciful to me according to —.
67. Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I keep —.
76. L, let Your lovingkindness be for my comfort, according to — to Your servant.
82. My eyes fail for —, saying "When will you comfort me?"
103. How sweet are — to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
116. Uphold me according to —, that I may live; and let me not be ashamed of my hope.
123. My eyes fail for Your salvation and Your righteous —.
133. Direct my steps by —, and let no iniquity have dominion over me.
140. — is very pure; therefore Your servant loves it.
148. My eyes are awake through the night watches, that I may meditate on —.
154. Plead my cause and redeem me; revive me according to —.
158. I see the treacherous and am disgusted, because they do not keep —.
162. I rejoice at — as one who finds great treasure.
170. Let my supplication come before You; deliver me according to —.
172a. My tongue shall speak of —.
15b. I contemplate —.
WONDROUS WORKS (NIPHLAH)
27b. I will meditate on —.
55a. I remember — in the night.
132. Look on me and be merciful to me, per Your custom (MISHPAT) toward those who love —.
90. L, Your — is to all generations; You established the earth and it abides.
NONE OF THE ABOVE
* See 121 (MISHPAT tr. as "justice")
122. Be surety for Your servant for good; do not let the proud oppress me.