Thursday, April 29, 2010

Droll Stroll

Occasionally, weather and workload permitting, I take a nice long walk up or down Hampton Ave. in the city. I can always use a dose of sunshine, more-or-less "fresh" air, and a chance to look around at things other than a computer screen and a book (though I often bring a book along). But mostly I need the exercise, because the "fat" part of a certain "fat stupid jerk" is becoming more and more prominent.

When I walk southward on Hampton, my route takes me past the front window of an exercise club. And here is the thought I often find myself thinking as I stroll past rows of leg-warmer-clad fitness junkies marching on their stairsteppers and treadmills:

HERE, BUT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD, GOEST THOU.

It's nice to think that I, too, can be an inspiration to the physically fit.

No comments: