Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Book Binge

I've been fairly good about avoiding bookstores for a while. But yesterday and today, I went on a book-buying binge. I feel so dirty!

At Borders, on my way home from work yesterday, I picked up The Singing by Alison Croggon (#4 of the Books of Pellinor); Savvy by Ingrid Law (a recent Newbery Honor book about a family whose members all come into unique magical powers at age 13), and Graceling by Kristin Cashore (a highly acclaimed fantasy about a princess with the power to kill at a touch). I'm guessing the Harry Potter set will enjoy my reviews of those books.

Today, using a discount coupon at Abebooks, I shopped for some used books that had been on my "shopping list" for way too long. Would you believe that I got all of the following for under $50, including shipping? First, the set of Norse folk tales called East of the Sun and West of the Moon by P. C. Asbjørnsen & J. E. Moe, translated by G. W. Dasent, as well as Popular Tales from Norse Mythology by the same authors. Then Roger Lancelyn Green's Cavalcade of Dragons and Cavalcade of Magicians, as well as The Luck of Troy. Also Howard Pyle's Book of Pirates and The Garden Behind the Moon. Plus The World's Desire by H. Rider Haggard and Andrew Lang. And finally, A Curse as Dark as Gold by Elizabeth C. Bunce.

There were other books I wanted to get, but I had to stop somewhere and $50 seemed like a good place. Although, I was almost sure I had also ordered Thackeray's The Rose and the Ring. I don't know what happened to that, but it didn't turn up on my order confirmation. On the other hand, John Morressy's Dudgeon and Dragons can't be had for less than $150.00. For similar reasons I was deterred from buying Lancelyn Green's Tale of the Lord High Tiger. Bummer.

But as you can see, if I can stir my stumps a bit more than lately, my blog this summer will be aswim in reviews of excellent books, many of them classics in the world of folklore and fantasy. Oooh! It's going to be soooo fattening!!

No comments: