Here is a little trivia quiz for book lovers. The Book Trolley might be a handy study guide. For each clue, give the character's full name, the title of the book, and the author.
1. My first name is Ebenezer. I am a hard-hearted scrooge. In fact, I am so cruel that I try to get pirates to dispose of my nephew so that I can usurp his fortune. But my nephew escapes and flees overland to seek justice, aided by outlaws.
2. My first name is Seth. I am a slippery, greedy hypocrite. My reputation as an architect is based on designs I stole from my apprentices. Together with my two dreadful daughters, I keep a good-hearted clerk in shameful subjection, while trying to persuade a rich relative to disinherit his grandson and make me his heir instead.
3. My middle name is Henry. I have lived with my two evil aunts, ever since my parents were eaten by a rampaging rhino. My life takes a wonderful turn, however, when I join a strange new family in a magical flight across the ocean.
4. My first name is Philip. My game of building a pretend city out of books, toys, and bric-a-brac, turns into a magical adventure when I accidentally enter the world I have built, together with a girl named Lucy. Take a bonus point for getting her full name as well.
5. My nickname is Cat. I tag along with my strong-willed sister when she goes to study magic under the most powerful enchanter in nine universes. At the time I don't even realize that I'm the one with the real power, and my ambitious sister is literally draining the life out of me.
6. I'm a boy with a very descriptive name. I have been brought up under scientific principles, so that I do not know how to image or make-believe. But then I find myself in a magical world where my pig-headed ways lead me into trouble, such as a spell in the form of a dragon.
7. My first name is Simon. I start my career as a goose-boy who helps two girl-cousins escape from the clutches of a crooked housekeeper who plans to sell off their property for her own gain. Take an extra point for naming the book, later in the series, in which I become King of England.
8. My nickname is Nita. While skulking in the neighborhood library to escape bullies, I discover a manual of wizardry. Soon I am committed to defending the universe against the powers of darkness, together with my partner Kit (take an extra point for giving his full name).
9. My nickname is Scout. My widowed father is a lawyer in a quiet Southern-U.S. town where racism is still alive, and one tragic court case unleashes a series of deadly lessons for me, my brother, and our colorful neighbors.
10. My nickname is Nick. I live in Hoboken, New Jersey, and I spend my summer listening to pirate radio, reading great books in comic-book format, and trying to figure out what happened to a giant chicken that once rampaged through my fair city. Take an extra point for naming the book in which that chicken first appeared.
Highlight the space between the arrows below to see the answers.
-->1. Ebenezer Balfour in Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson. 2. Seth Pecksniff in Martin Chuzzlewit by Charles Dickens. 3. James Henry Trotter in James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl. 4. Philip Haldane in The Magic City by E. Nesbit. 5. Eric Chant in Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones. 6. Eustace Scrubb in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C. S. Lewis. 7. Simon Bakerloo in The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken. 8. Juanita Callahan in So You Want to Be a Wizard by Diane Duane. 9. Jean Louise Finch in To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. 10. Ivan Itch in Looking for Bobowicz by Daniel Pinkwater. BONUSES: Lucy Graham; Midwinter Nightingale; Christopher Rodriguez; The Hoboken Chicken Emergency.<--