Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Musical Week

This week has been all about music for me. That's why you haven't heard from me much. The 7th was our first Sunday back on the "two services" worship schedule, after our summer hours with a single service following Bible study. So once again I get two chances to play all the organ pieces I pick out each week - two chances to get them right! Yesterday my main accomplishment was whipping up a choir piece (a setting of Psalm 133) for my church choir. Tonight was the Symphony Chorus's last practice before facing "performance week," a guest conductor, and Howard Shore's Lord of the Rings Symphony.

So I have snippets of Elvish knocking around in my head, together with phrases of a choir piece so new that no one has heard it yet but me. Tomorrow night I get to introduce it to the church choir and see whether I can tempt them to try it. Hopefully I will also have time to dig out a backup piece in case they say, "Pee-yew!"

That won't stop the piece from going around in my head. The only thing I can do about it is to start working on another composition. I have several ideas in my head, interesting challenges I am eager to face as the new choral singing season heats up. I have a commission to work on, a hymnal project to push forward, and of course lots of symphony stuff to learn in the months to come - from Verdi's Requiem to Beethoven's Ninth Symphony. It's going to rock! And you thought football was exciting!

No comments: