Monday, December 11, 2023

501. Look to Jesus

This is the first new hymn that I've written since I pulled the trigger on Bountiful Hymns. I'm frankly intimated by the thought of even starting to plan a fourth book of original hymns, which may be why I've dragged my feet, but the idea for this hymn has been nagging at me until I couldn't stand it any more. And meanwhile, another idea has started to push from behind it, making it doubly imperative that I write this. So, here goes. I don't have a tune in mind at present.

Would you see the love of God?
Look to Jesus:
Sole begotten Son eternal
With the Father's substance one,
He stooped from His throne supernal
All God's justice to see done.
As He bears the Father's rod,
We behold the love of God.

Would you find a gracious God?
Look to Jesus!
Who among that uncouth dozen,
Finding His pure teachings hard,
Were by might or wisdom chosen
Or stood out in men's regard?
You, too, not by flesh and blood,
Live but by the grace of God.

Would you do the works of God?
Look to Jesus:
Seizing neither arms nor nation,
Tending to the sick and poor,
He blessed those of lowly station,
Bidding them to sin no more.
Wash! Believe the tidings good!
Thus God works the works of God.

Would you share the life of God?
Look to Jesus:
Who, once struck for our transgression,
Lay but briefly in the grave,
Us, His own blood-bought possession,
Rising mightily to save.
Take His body and His blood;
Taste and share the life of God.

No comments: