Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Creepy Dream

About a week ago, I woke up from a really weird dream and wrote down a note about it, to remind myself about it later. I didn't really need the reminder; it's been on my mind a lot. What a creepy dream!

I dreamed that I was attending a conference with some old schoolfellows, staying at the kind of motel where guests' rooms open straight out onto the parking lot. As I approached my room, I noticed something hanging on the door that I took at first for a decorative bundle of straw or fine sticks. Then I recognized it as an enormous, daddy long-legs type spider that immediately started chasing me.

As I ran for it, I gradually realized that my initial guess was closer to the truth, and my pursuer was really more of a kind of hollow tumbleweed. It outwardly seemed to be just rolling around, but it really was following me everywhere I went and even seemed to be trying to head me off. It had intelligence and intent. Somehow I realized that allowing it to touch me would be disaster.

I don't know what would have happened when it caught me – whether it was trying to bite me or snag on my clothing or steal my car keys or what – but I woke up pretty freaked out. I also remember that my chase covered some interesting dream terrain.

Well, sweet dreams, y'all!

No comments: