Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Julie & Julia

I spent my free movie voucher on Julie and Julia yesterday. My review will be short and sweet. Or rather, savory.

The Nora Ephron film features Meryl Streep as Julia Child, French cooking teacher to the English-speaking world, and Amy Adams as a young aspiring writer who spent a year cooking her way through Child's book Mastering the Art of French Cooking and blogging about her experiences. They both do a great job playing adorable women who, unlike your average movie heroine, are both happily married - their husbands being played by Stanley Tucci and Chris Messina, respectively. The longish (2 hours, 3 minutes) film very charmingly tells their parallel stories and makes you drool over lots of really good-looking food. The movie inspires laughter, tears, pangs of hunger, and a bit of head-shaking at the crazy ways of the world.

I couldn't help going out to eat at a restaurant with tablecloths after this movie. I just couldn't bear to follow up such a feast for the eyes with heat-and-eat packaged food. So I had Pasta House's chicken marsala with a house salad, "Italian potatoes," and a carmel-fudge-pecan torte for dessert. It was all nummy. Sort of an early treat for my birthday, which happens to be today. Happy birthday myself!

No comments: