Monday, November 17, 2014

More of My Harmonizations

Further original hymn tune arrangements for my upcoming book Useful Hymns...
I found this tune in a German hymnal and thought I would use it with one of my original hymns. I would have used the hymnal harmonization if there had been one; since there was not, I wrote my own.

I wrote this tune to go with my hymn on the Fifth Commandment, "Thou shalt not kill." I seem to have had a Scandinavian hymn tune in mind at the time.

This tune, written for a hymn on the Third Commandment, "Remember the Sabbath day," is founded on a musical joke. Each of the first three phrases signifies the week with a scale run of seven notes, and further suggests the need for a day of rest by ending without a full resolution.

This tune was written on purpose for a hymn about the Ninth Commandment, "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house." I can think of a few German chorales I may have had in mind while writing it.

This tune was written for a hymn on the Fourth Commandment, "Honor thy father and mother." I know exactly which tune I was imitating in this case: HEUT TRIUMPHIERET, which also appears in my book of hymns.

This tune was written for a hymn on the Second Commandment, "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain." In meter and in concept I think it comes pretty close to a certain Lenten chorale I have long admired.

I found this tune in an old German hymnal, without harmonization. This is my arrangement of it.

This is my tune for the hymn "Lord God, who once brought Israel out," a hymn reflecting on the Christian meaning of the Passover.

For what it's worth, this tune was written for a hymn on the Trinity, "God who is Father, God the Son."

No comments: